Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I am stupid but I am not a dog!

   Scolding a student who asked about the lesson learned is an irresponsible manner.This happened yesterday in front of my eyes. A student ( a below average one ) asked an ustazah ( still a teacher, isn't she?) which topics might be asked in the examinations.Instead of helping the worried student, on the spur of the moment, the ustazah yelled and scolded him.I know it was quite annoying to answer the same questions but it is a teacher's role to guide the students especially those who are not the smart ones. 

   I have been teaching the same boy since January so it made me sad to see him being scolded for asking what he wanted to know.His aim was only to pass ( which is 40%) since he knows that getting an 'A' is impossible.The spirit in him should be boosted by answering his questions.He only asked 'what topics may come out' not asking for the questions!By asking the question, we know that this boy was worried about the examinations so he is much better than those so-called smart students who never asked but then fail the exams!

   I could see tears in the boy's eyes.It is not the boy's fault for not being a smart one.I know that he really puts efforts in his studies.He always asks questions in class.Once I taught him 5 new vocabulary to be memorised.After 10 minutes, he could only remember 1.It was not totally his fault since I saw him sitting at the corner trying so hard to memorise the words.He also voiced out his worries about his short-term memory.If teachers cannot make him keep the lesson in his brain forever ( due to his shortcoming) at least show him love and comfort his feeling.A scold could only dampen his motivation!

   I really wonder how can a teacher being so heartless scolding this vulnerable student.It made me sad and If I were in the boy's shoes, perhaps I would never trust any teacher to help me again.Thus, yesterday I talked to the boy not to be disappointed and go on with his efforts.Not to take it to heart. And this is what he said.....

     "I know that I am stupid but I am not a dog.Why God created me worse than a dog?" I was speechless...It hurt me too!  He is not a block-head! He leaves no stone unturned!The ustazah had touched him on the raw!I lost my word and could only see deep into his eyes.But deep inside I said "My dear student, don't be sad and show the world that you can do it!"

1 comments:

mumu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment