Monday, September 6, 2010

Ten most important things about Eid

   What I like most about Eid?(Hari raya in Malay).First, 2 weeks before Eid, I make my family's clothes;baju melayu for my husband and baju kurung for me and my 2 lovely daughters.I don't like to buy the ready made clothes because they never fit us well.(But this year I am too busy so I had no choice but to buy the ready made ones even though I already bought the materials months ago.)
   
   Second, I like the feelings of waiting for Eid while cleaning the house, hanging the curtains, changing new decorations,washing the cake jars and glassess etc in the house.It is the feeling of happiness.I like to prepare my own curtain.(But this year I use the old ones since they are still ok )I just had my house renovated 4 months ago so I am taking the opportunity to make my house looking different.Cleaning the house for Eid makes me feel happy indeed.

   Third, I really looking forward to preparing the ketupat.( A malay traditional dish for Eid made from rice and eaten with rendang or chicken curry).I like the smell of the young coconut leaves while weaving the ketupat case (Hope I have chosen the right word ).The most popular ketupat are ketupat pasar and ketupat bawang.( They are different because of the shape )But for my nieces and nephews and my daughters when they were younger, I like to make ketupat burung ( the bird ketupat which has the shape of a bird)

   Fourth, 2 or 3 days before Eid, I like to cook the pandan syrup.Modern families like carbonated drinks for Eid but I like pandan syrup most because of it sweet aroma.So, this is my special drink for Eid.As for my daughters, they like carbonated drinks so I prepare both.The sweet aroma pandan syrup is also used in making the simple 'agar-agar'( jelly ) for Eid.What a mouth-watering dessert for Eid!

   Fifth, I like to buy cookies.I will buy different colours of cookies so that they will look nice in the jars.They can function as delicacies and decoration as well. Since I seldom bake cookies, besides buying them I also spend some money buying sweets and asam ( pickle mango or unripe papaya or peach) since my students like them a lot.Sometimes I also buy kuaci ( melon or sunflower seeds) to add variety to the dish.

   Sixth, a week before Eid, I like the house been surrounded by oil lamps.Many people like to hang the colourful lights but I still prefer oil lamp since they are nostalgic.My house is a semi- d,and my neighbours also like oil lamps so we light them around the house a week before Eid.Normally there is a competition on the best lighted house before Eid so the community at my neighbourhood will decorate their houses with creative oil lamps.It is awesome and the oil lamps bring smiles, indeed!

  Seventh, I like the situation when the person ( I forget his post but he is the most important person to make the announcement) announces whether the next day is Eid or not.Years ago, muslims ( the authorities) must determine whether it is Eid or not by 'looking for the anak bulan'( I'll explain later when I find more suitable words).If the 'anak bulan' is seen, the next day is Eid.If not, we have to fast for one more day.But now, the government uses the second way to determine whether Eid or not by 'counting the days' and normally the very next day is Eid.The happy voices of children, Yeh!Yeh! Tomorrow is Eid! will always been a nostalgia.Then, we would take out our new shoes and baju kurung placed them somewhere  could be seen ,could not wait for the next day to wear them on Eid!(Now I still do that but for my daughters)

   Eighth, On Eid itself, after bathing and putting on our new clothes, we take turn to kiss our parents' hand and ask for forgiveness.While my grandpa was still alive, we must take at least 5 minutes each to hold his hand and listen to his advice and sit in a very polite way and lower our heads.He would also say something as to ask forgiveness from us, his grandchildren as well.Then, the eldest will give 'duit raya'(money put in beautiful envelop given to children on Eid) to the youngers.As long as you are single, you will have the chance to get 'duit raya'.

   Ninth, after giving 'duit raya' the whole family will eat together.It is still early in the morning ( around 8 or 9 a.m) but we take heavy meals like ketupat, rendang, chicken curry etc.The dish I like most is ketupat with kuah kacang ( peanut gravy).It is a must to give the meaning of Eid.Other important dish is sambal goreng ( different types of vegetables cooked with thick coconut milk and dried shrimp) but I do not like it much.After eating, we visit our neighbours and relatives for the whole day.(The celebration can take the whole month in Johor)

   Tenth, the one that I like most about Eid is being together with the whole family.This is the time when the youngers can meet the eldest.This is also the time when we, the eldest can talk about our childhood life and remembering them as the sweetest moment in life.Whatever it is, Eid always brings happiness to us the muslims and the non-muslims as well because as Malaysians we live in harmony regardless of race and beliefs.
And after this, I will feel the spirit of Eid while cleaning my house and listening to the nostalgic Eid songs.

SELAMAT HARI RAYA MAAF ZAHIR DAN BATIN
    

0 comments:

Post a Comment