Thursday, July 29, 2010

J.G'S GUIDE ON ''HOW TO TAME TEACHERS'' ( MY PERSONAL RESPONSE )


J.G'S GUIDE ON ''HOW TO TAME TEACHERS''     


( MY PERSONAL RESPONSE )

        You are an average student in middle school trying to get noticed by peers and teachers. Every moment your teacher asked a question, the most brilliant kid in class would surely answer the questions. He stole your spotlight thus, teachers love him more than they love you. You feel neglected and unappreciated. You hate the teacher because she doesn't notice you in class.


( Neglecting my students regardless of their achievement was never in my list )

       No need to worry, I'm here today, to give away three easy guides on 'How To Tame Your Teacher' in aim to pursue her attention. (Note that I am not trying to write an attention-seeking article).



( Do not use 'tame',please.Use 'How to be noticed by your teacher )


CHAPTER 1: LAY THE GROUNDWORK


      Study your teacher.(I strongly agree with you ) If you can bond with your teacher you'll actually be less likely to get into trouble, even if you did do something wrong.(No,I don't agree.If you do wrong, you'll be punished by me )


LOOK AT HER: Imagine you are the teacher. (Emm... yes...)You are trying to teach something to your audience. Do you hope to just see above the audiences' head or would you really want to look in their eyes. A good teacher would make eye-contact with the students. This is one of the effective methods of inter-conversation.(Yes, again)



Let's get back to the point. So, make eye contacts with her.(Yes) Nod when she talks. Squint your eyes when you are thinking really hard about what she is asking and saying. At least act interested in the subject, even though the subject may bore you to death.(No, never act.Just tell the truth that you are not interested)

GET THE SCOOP:  Ask former students who had been taught by the teacher. Ask them what's her interest. Is it Shakespeare, Sports or Technology. Listen for the excitement in her voice when she brings a certain topic (usually un-academic). And when you know she's a big fan of say Shakespeare, the next time she's in class you can say something like "Ha, this reminds me of Romeo and Juliet!" (It is better if you can quote some of the lines).(Yes, you're right.I did this too when I was in school)

MAKE A CONNECTION: Most kids duck when teacher asks questions. Like today even some of my peers hid their name-tag to not to be called by the teacher (Talk about invisibility cape). Then, most kids also run away when they met teacher outside class. But, really the teachers do get annoyed when you did that. (I feel that way,too )Just imagine one of those awkward moments when you say 'hi' to your friend but he just turn on deaf ears. How obnoxious is that?

      So, every time you met your teacher, at least put on a smile ( a fake one would work too)(I know if it was fake.Be honest.Honesty is the best policy) or say salam or how do you do, you look lovely today etc. (Don't overdo it unless you want to be seen like a freaking desperate butt-kisser).


CHAPTER 2: OWN THE CLASSROOM


      Yes I mean you got to rule the classroom. Be the king or queen of the class. You are the highest rank among your friends. To do it, you must conquer your class. Just like Alexander quoted "I come, I see, I conquer".( You are right again.It was my technique too when I was your age)


STRIKE FIRST: Nothing like a class discussion would make your teacher feel like she's really got through you. So don't pretend like you are invisible man instead raise your hand and ask questions or answer question. (This will always work) Here's the quirk, teachers won't probably choose the students who raised their hand first, instead they are searching for those invinsible men hiding, crouching hoping not to be seen. But hey, you don't want to be like them anymore!


OFFER AN OPINION: What would you do if a friend controls a discussion and you got lost in the middle of it! Remember don't panic! The trick is to offer an opinionbased on your friend's idea or theory. There you've participated. Risk-free.(Yes, follow this)

ASK FOR HELP THE RIGHT WAY: If you are falling apart after class, and you feel like "Oh My Goodness, what the hell just teacher taught us just now?".You are probably not focusing in class. So, Stay behind after class- even a few minutes is a major investment that'll pay off big-time.


     If you can't possibly make the deadline, approach your teacher and confess the truth.
( Yes, this will lead to success.Believe me) Make yourself look vulnerable ( you can do the puppy face ( lol ) too, but make sure it works not just annoying again). Say thing like "I'm sorry teacher, I know you are really busy, but can we talk?..." Do not forget to apologise and then explain why you can't make the deadline."Teacher I don't comprehend completely the thing you taught in class. I'm sorry for being such a dim :(" (I like this type of students.Feel free to ask me any question.If I have the answer, I will tell.If I haven't, we find the answer together.)


This way you'll appear responsible, respectful and ironically ( lol again )vulnerable. Sometimes this vulnerable thingy will change your teacher's role from 'punishment-giver' to 'compassion-mother and helper'.(Yes, you are totally right, dear.I am a compassion-mother and helper.You don't see me with any cane in my hand,do you? )


So these are some tricks I finally revealed to tame your teachers. Good Luck trying!
(Once again, not 'tame' honey since I am not a wild cat.)




p.s Other teachers, perhaps.

0 comments:

Post a Comment